Today, you will learn how to make Vegan Fried Chicken made from grapefruit peels. Say what?!
There are so many chicken replacement recipes (tofu bites taste like chicken) online out there, and we come across that people are trying to make vegan fried chicken from grapefruit peels.
We like to try to change typical favorite food for plant-based eaters, Eco-friendly eaters, & individuals who are looking for more ways to eat more plants over meats.
You might be skeptical, and we were too. We didn't jump on making it right away either but told ourselves and be a little open-minded and gave it a try.
The spongy, white, inside parts of the fruit are the principal chicken-less chicken ingredient.
This one sounded weird. If you don't like the taste of its skin bitterness, we strongly recommend you to put some sauce like Sriracha when you eat. Long story short, we would not mind making it again whenever we buy a grapefruit.
Surprisingly the bitter taste didn't bother so much than we expected. Do not soak the piths, it will ruin it.
Recipe for Vegan Fried Chicken Made From Grapefruit Peels
Serves: 4 pieces
- 1 pink or red grapefruit
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- ½ tsp Pink Himalayan salt
- 1 ½ tsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2/3 cup unbleached flour
- 2 Tbsp egg-replacer + 4 Tbsp water
- 1 ½ cup bread crumbs
- Cut the grapefruit in 4. Separate the pulp, and the piths with your fingers. Try to save the piths part as much as you can when cutting them.
- Cut the outside skin part of grapefruit peels.
- Mix Seasoning in a ball.
- Mix the egg-replacer and water.
- Dip the piths in the seasoning mixture.
- Cover both sides in flour, then dip them in the egg-replacer mixture.
- Cover them with bread crumbs well and transfer them on a plate to rest.
- Heat your oil to 355 to 365F.
- Carefully drop the peels into the hot oil.
- Fry them until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite hot dipping sauce (it goes well with a spicy sauce like Sriracha.)