The Best Vegan Bacon Made From Tofu
After testing various ingredients, we found the best Vegan Bacon recipe. You won't believe this vegan bacon is tofu when you try. One block of tofu may not be enough for you… You will make this more and more. Guaranteed! Just doubling up or more as many as tofu you wish to make more because you can pre-make it and freeze some that you don't eat right away. So that way it’s ready for when you want to make a dish with Vegan bacon.
FOR ONE BLOCK OF TOFU
- Extra-firm tofu – 16oz (454g) (If you don't find, Extra Firm, find at least Firm one.)
SAUCE FOR THE VEGAN BACON
- 4 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Avocado or Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup (If not, Brown Sugar works too.)
- 1/4 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
*If you wish to reduce oil intake, you could use only 2 tablespoon oil and add 1 tablespoon water to match the quantity of liquid to soak tofu.
When the tofu freezes, water inside the tofu create small holes in the tofu that stay once the tofu is thawed. As this happens, frozen tofu is firmer and chewier than it was before when it's cooked. It is also easier to absorb the sauce.
If you want to make Vegan Bacon tasty, this process is a must. And it's much easier to drain the water out from tofu, too.
- Put tofu in the freezer overnight and then defrost it. Press the tofu to drain water, then cut into slices a little less than 1/4 inch thick.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients well in a bowl until the salt has dissolved.
- Dip the tofu slices in a bowl, or you can use its original container for dipping. (Press tofu with both of your hand to drain excess sauce, this way tofu will get dry faster but taste still fine.)
- Preheat your oven to 375F (190C)
- Gently lay the tofu on the baking sheet.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then turn OFF the oven, flip the tofu slices, and put them back into the oven then let them sit another 30 minutes.
- Freezing the tofu makes it process a lot easier and a little chewier like meat. What?! Yes, the texture is not like tofu.
- As cutting tofu after freezing and defrosting it, it will break if you try to slice thinner than 1/4 inch slice.
- This Vegan Bacon gives dry meat-like texture and taste.
- The thicker the slices, the longer the tofu to dry.